EXPERIENCED. QUALIFIED. RESPECTED.
Nevadans need and deserve judges on the Nevada Court of Appeals – our state’s second highest court – who are experienced, qualified, and respected by their colleagues, peers, and the public. I was appointed Judge of Department 3 of the Nevada Court of Appeals in early 2019 as Governor Sisolak’s first judicial appointment, after serving for twelve years on the bench as Discovery Commissioner for the Eighth Judicial District Court. I’m running this November to be able to complete the remaining two years of my appointed term. It is my hope to be able to run in 2022 for a full six-year term on the court of appeals.
Being an appellate judge is intellectually challenging and demanding. Becoming a member of the court of appeals is the culmination of 32 years of hard work, perseverance and commitment to the law, and it is an honor to continue to serve the people of Nevada. I love the work, and I’m good at it.
I work hard to serve all of the citizens of Nevada, and earn their respect. Thus far, I have been endorsed by 30 Labor, Law Enforcement, Fire, and Civic organizations:
- Clark County Firefighters Association
- Clark County Prosecutors Association
- Clark County School District Police Officers Association
- Fraternal Order of Police
- Henderson Police Officers Association
- Henderson Police Supervisors Association
- IBEW Local 357 (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers)
- IATSC Local 720 (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees)
- International Association of Ironworkers Local 433
- Juvenile Justice Supervisors Association
- Las Vegas Peace Officers Association
- Las Vegas Peace Officer Supervisors Association
- Las Vegas Police Protective Association
- Las Vegas Police Managers and Supervisors Association
- Las Vegas Bartenders Local 165
- Nevada Association of Public Safety Officers
- Nevada Highway Patrol Association
- Nevada State AFL-CIO
- Nevada Veterans Council
- Nevada/California Ironworkers Local 433
- North Las Vegas Police Officers Association
- Northern Nevada Central Labor Council
- Peace Officer Research Association of Nevada
- Professional Firefighters of Nevada
- Reno Police Protective Association
- SEIU Local 1107 (Service Employees International Union)
- Southern Nevada Building Trades Unions (SNBTU)
- Southern Nevada Central Labor Council
- Southern Nevada Cops
- Washoe County Sheriffs Deputies Association
- One of the three incumbent Judges on the Nevada Court of Appeals.
- First judge appointed by Governor Sisolak – February 2019.
- Discovery Commissioner for the Eighth Judicial District Court of Nevada from 2007-2019.
- As Discovery Commissioner, worked collaboratively with all 32 judges of the Eighth District Court, resolving tens of thousands of pre-trial discovery disputes spanning virtually every area of law.
- Now, as Judge of the Court of Appeals, work collaboratively with my 2 colleagues.
Over 1150 cases disposed of by the Court of Appeals in 2019.
- Appointed to the Nevada Supreme Court Rules Committee by Justices Gibbons and Pickering to revise and re-write the Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure (2016-2018)
- Member of Rules Committee for the Eighth Judicial District Court (until 2019)
- Long-time frequent lecturer to the Bench and Bar on discovery issues.
- Continue to lecture on legal education as Judge of Court of Appeals, on a variety of topics including the new civil rules of procedure, ethics, oral argument, selected recent criminal decisions, and family law update.
- Upcoming 2020: Lecturer in pretrial discovery at the Nevada State Bar’s Trial Academy Young Lawyer’s Section.
- Instructor for many years in the National Institute of Trial Advocacy Deposition Program.
- Served as a judge for Trial by Peers, a diversionary program for youthful offenders.
- Chosen in 2019 by the Governor to sit on the Nevada Court of Appeals after a rigorous, comprehensive and competitive selection process conducted by the Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection.
- Martindale Hubbell Judicial Edition AV Pre-eminent Rating – 2017
- Chosen in 2007 from a field of approximately 50 candidates to be the Discovery Commissioner for the Eighth Judicial District Court. Served for 12 years before being elevated to court of appeals.
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating – 2004 (formal plaque presented 2007)
- In private practice for 19 years, handled high profile, complex litigation such as the PEPCON explosion mass tort litigation, and medical malpractice defense.
Long-standing member of respected professional organizations;
Recipient of numerous professional awards and recognition:
- 2018 Recipient of Clark County Bar Foundation Liberty Bell Award
- 2017: Martindale Hubbell Judicial Edition AV Pre-eminent Rating
- 2013: Vegas Top Lawyers award
- 2011: Bar Register of Pre-eminent Women Lawyers
- 2004: Martindale Hubbell AV Pre-eminent Rating (formal plaque presented 2007)
- 1991: Outstanding Young Woman of America award
- Immediate past president of the Howard D. McKibben Chapter of the American Inns of Court.
- Member and Past president of the Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys.
- Former national officer of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division.
- Member of the Clark County Bar Association
- Member of the Washoe County Bar Association
- Member Northern Nevada Women Lawyers Association
- Past member of the Nevada Justice Association
- Past member of the Defense Research Institute
- Past member of Nevada Medical Dental Screening Panel
- Former grader of Nevada Bar Exam
- Volunteer judge of the Nevada state high school civics competition “We The People” (2020).
- Coached soccer for children with special needs, through the American Youth Soccer Organization.
- Volunteer with Amazing Grace Ministry’s outreach to the homeless and economically disadvantaged for 10 years.
- Arizona State University, B.S. 1984. Summa Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa.
- ASU Law School (nka The Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law), J.D. 1987.